A new nine member panel has been appointed as the next Ministerial Advisory Council on Skilled Migration (MACSM), comprised of both new and returning members.
The Council’s role is to advise the government on visa and policy issues to enhance the function of Australia’s skilled migration program, and its contribution to Australia’s productivity and economy.
The recent reviews of the subclass 457 and Significant Investor Visa programmes highlight the importance of the Council in its role as advisor to the government; it will take into consideration the factors presented in these reviews, which will ultimately lead to the programmes better meeting Australia’s needs in the skilled migration space.
One of the first tasks of the panel will be to review the composition of the Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List, with a view to increasing the productivity contribution of sponsored migration.
The panel will include:
- Innes Willox – Chief Executive of the Australian Industry Group
- Ged Kearney – President of the Australian Council of Trade Unions
- John Azarias – Senior Partner from Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu
- Su McCluskey – Chief Executive Officer of the Regional Australia Institute
- Steve Knott – Chief Executive of the Australian Mines and Metals Association
- Brett Moller – President of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry Queensland
- Carol Giuseppi – Acting Chief Executive officer at Tourism Accommodation Australia
- Sylvia Burbery – General Manager of Mars Petcare Australia/New Zealand
Assistant Minister for Immigration and Border Protection, the Hon Michaelia Cash said, ‘these nine members all bring with them a wealth of experience and represent industry, unions and State and Territory governments. All appointments will initially be for 12 months.’
FCB Smart Visa will continue to provide updates on the work of the Ministerial Advisory Council on Skilled Migration when they become available. If you have any migration matters that you would like to discuss, please call an FCB Smart Visa migration agent on 02 9922 5188.